Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's and orange scones

We had a great Valentine's day in this house! Boston and I started the morning by getting his daddy his favorite hot chocolate and a couple heart shaped doughnuts. Then I finally got a chance to make some orange scones I've been dying to try. We were lucky enough to have our aunt come babysit so Steven and I could go out to lunch without the kiddo. We went to Longhorn Steakhouse (amazing!) and I had never been there before. I got a delicious ribeye and got to enjoy the company of my husband without a baby whining in the background. We decided to get Boston a Valentine's gift too and got him an exersaucer we had been eyeing for awhile now, which ended up being on sale and turned out to be $17 cheaper then expected!
Testing out the super cool new exersaucer!
Steven had strict instructions this year to just get me some good chocolate and he chose a chocolate covered ice cream cake from Coldstones which is fantastic. And now he's in class while the baby and I cuddle and watch Glee. And the Teen Mom 2 finale is tonight, I mean can it get any better? 
Strawberry ice cream layered with red velvet cake, covered in chocolate ganache! So tasty!
When I was pregnant, Steven and I had a routine of going to Panera after my doctor's appointments for pastries and I almost always got their orange scone. I never thought I'd like scones but I thought I'd give it a shot and it was one of the most divine things I've ever tasted. I've been considering trying to make them myself for quite awhile now but for some reason scones intimidated me. I don't know why, because it was incredibly easy! The only thing I plan on working on is making some kind of orange frosting like they use at Panera or a heavier glaze. Maybe even some orange extract in the glaze because in the Panera version, the glaze is where most of the orange flavor is and that's what I like. 
Orange Scones
Ingredients
1 3/4 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup sugar
Zest of 1 orange
Pinch of salt
5 tbs cold butter, cut into small cubes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 tbs milk
Orange Glaze
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tbs orange juice
Preheat oven to 400. In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt, and zest together. Add the butter and use either a pastry mixer or your hands to mix until it is crumbly in texture. Stir in the orange juice and sour cream just til blended. 
Seperate into 2 equal sections and shape into about an 8" round disk, about an inch thick. Let rest for about 10 minutes. In a seperate bowl, mix the egg and milk and use as an egg wash over the 2 disks. Bake for 12-14 minutes. Slice rounds into quarters and let them cool to room temp. Brush with orange glaze. 
Adapted from Pastry Affair
So yummy!
Hope you had a great Valentine's Day!
P.S, did I mention Cougartown starts again today too? BEST DAY EVER!



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...