Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cake Batter Pancakes

In case you didn't know, today is national pancake day. Okay, so maybe not in America (much to my dismay) but in the UK, Fat Tuesday/Shrove Tuesday is also observed as Pancake Day. In America, IHop recognizes it as February 28th (and who better to trust about pancake day then IHop right?). However, since we spent the previous 2 years in England, my facebook was blowing up with friends talking about pancake day and I got way too excited. Let me paint the scene for you; upon reading that my friend Sarah would celebrate pancake day by making cake batter pancakes, I immediately got out of my comfortable chair, raced to the bathroom to fix my hair only to discover I couldn't find a hair tie anywhere. This is enraging because I just have to get to the store to buy flour before Steven has to leave for school that evening. So I stomp around the house, slamming things, swearing and demanding a hair tie so I can go. Husband asks what is so important...
"IT'S NATIONAL PANCAKE DAY!!!!"
So I continue to scurry around the house in a frenzy, give up on fixing my hair, and run to the store with the baby, looking a hot mess. And if you know me at all, you know that I have a severe history of big hair. I assure you today was no different; it was large and not so in charge which is why I was trying to restrain it with no such luck. Normally I would take that as a sign that I don't need to leave the house but not today. Oh no, not on pancake day.

Cake Batter Pancakes with Cream Cheese Glaze
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups flour
2/3 cup yellow cake mix
1 tbs sugar
3/4 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 cups milk *start with 1 cup and gradually add more if needed*
Sprinkles
Combine cake mix, flour, salt, baking powder, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the eggs, vanilla and milk, stirring til smooth. You want this to be like regular pancake batter so add more milk if needed so it isn't too thick. Preheat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. Fold desired amount of sprinkles into batter. Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into the skillet at a time. Cook until bubbles form on top, about 2-3 minutes, then flip. Cook for another  minute or two. Serve topped with glaze.
Cream Cheese Glaze
3 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
3-4 tbs milk
Beat first 4 ingredients til smooth. Gradually add milk til thinned to your desired consistency
Pancake recipe from howsweeteats and glaze recipe from my head :)
If you're wondering, yes that is a super cool Coca-Cola plastic plate
So I'm sitting here with hair the size of Texas, eating a pile of the sweetest pancakes and reminiscing about my time in England. Thank you for pancake day! Oh, and next time, I'll add sprinkles on top of the glaze just because.
PS if you're wondering if it was worth the frenzy and fury, the answer is yes it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...