Saturday, February 18, 2012

Creamy Chicken Taquitos

Boston is feeling a little better today but last night I had the (not so) brilliant idea of letting him sleep in bed with us all night. He's been napping really well as long as I'm holding him or next to him so I thought maybe he'd do better if we co-slept. Wrong. He woke up every 2 hours or so and it wasn't just to eat but he was upset and fussy and blah. Poor pumpkin. So husband and I didn't get very much sleep at all and just as I was about to make Steven go to Dunkin Donuts and get me 2 chocolate frosted doughnuts (comfort food), our grammy called and invited us out for breakfast. So we went to Friendly's and I got strawberry topped french toast, which did the trick also. Grammy was also gracious enough to watch the kiddo while I took a 2 hour nap, bless her heart.

Tonight I tried a recipe I've seen on multiple sites for creamy chicken taquitos. I chose to base mine mostly off of Annie's Eats, who has a wonderful site with amazing looking food. I've made a few things from her site and really enjoyed them. They turned out great! Steven enjoyed it too so I think we'll add them to our menu. The recipe made 8 for me, and we each had 2 and found them to be very filling. These were really easy to put together and I had some shredded chicken ready to go so it was super simple today. I've been trying to make a habit of reserving a couple chicken breasts from the big packs we buy and cooking them in the slow cooker for a few hours, shredding it, and either refrigerating for a day or two or freezing til I need it and it's made a lot of meals much easier on a busy day. I served these taquitos with a side of salsa and refried beans. Also, one change I made was that I used wheat tortillas. I really like Chi-Chis Low Carb tortillas and since we're technically supposed to be starting our "diet" today, I thought that would be a good idea. Speaking of said diet, I'm going to put it off til Monday because I was pretty shocked that my husband wanted to join in on the diet with me, and I have to do some brainstorming on Steven-friendly meals and snacks to prepare.

Creamy Chicken Taquitos
Ingredients
3 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup salsa
2 tbl lime juice
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, chopped
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 cup Mexican blend cheese
8 tortillas
Cooking Spray
Kosher Salt
-Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, salsa, spices, lime juice, cheese, chicken and onion until blended well. Heat tortillas in microwave til easy to handle, about 15 seconds. Spoon 2-3 spoonfuls of chicken mixture into center of the tortilla and roll up tightly. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Lightly spray the top of the taquitos with cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden.
Adapted from Annie's Eats
You may notice my lack of photos when it comes to food. That is because I fail miserably at photography, especially food photography. It always ends up looking not so appetizing and I don't want to deter anyone from trying these recipes because of poor presentation. But if you follow the link to the original recipe, you will see some wonderful photos!

1 comment:

  1. I fail miserably at food photography too. I am trying so hard, but the lights in my kitchen make everything look yellow and I am always cooking when it is dark outside! They sound good though!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...