Sunday, March 4, 2012

Crockpot Honey Chicken

Army Wives returns tonight! Are you stoked? Because I am! Only a little over an hour to go. I am a little hesitant though because the previews are making it seem like they are going way over the top with their hurricane situation. Not that Army Wives hasn't pushed reality before but I think they may be trying a little too hard this time. Either way, I can't wait!
Knocking another one off my Pinterest to-do list, I made crockpot honey chicken today. I liked it... but I had a few friends make it and they were all pretty ecstatic about it, saying it was phenomenal but I just thought it was good. I'm going to give it another shot in the future because the sauce on mine didn't look as thick as in other people's photos and I didn't get a heavy honey flavor. It was good though and my husband enjoyed it. I had seconds! This chicken reminds me of one I've tried before, brown sugar chicken by A Year of Slowcooking. One really great thing about this meal is that not only is it one you throw together in the crockpot and leave, but you can cook it fairly quickly. I did mine on high for about 2 hours and it was done, which was perfect because I originally planned to cook it on low but things got ahead of me, I spent more time running errands then expected, and next thing I know it's damn near dinner time. I served mine with white rice, however it would be good with any type of rice and probably with most noodles.
Crockpot Honey Chicken
Ingredients
3/4 lbs chicken (I used chicken breasts but you can use any)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/8 cup ketchup
1/8 cup chopped onion
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 clove minced garlic
Season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, then place into the crockpot. In a small bowl, combine honey, soy sauce, ketchup, onion, oil, and garlic and then pour over the chicken. Cook on low for 3 hours or on high for about 1 1/2 hours. Cut or shred chicken into bite size pieces and return to pot and coat with sauce. Serve over rice.
I also spooned some extra sauce over the chicken and rice, and it was pretty good!
Adapted from Mmm...Cafe

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...