Thursday, March 22, 2012

Cookies & Cream cake

We went to Illinois this past weekend for my mother in laws 40th birthday. 22 hours of driving with a nearly 6 month old, who did amazing. I asked her what kind of cake she wanted and she just requested that it be made from scratch so I decided to do a cookies and cream cake. I had made this cake as cupcakes in the past and they were a hit so I thought I'd see about doubling the recipe and making a 9x13 cake and it worked out wonderfully. I forgot to take a picture of it once it was cut so you could see the Oreo cookie bits inside, but if you've seen any of the recipes for Oreo cupcakes floating around on Pinterest, then you have an idea of what the inside looked like. I topped the cake with cream cheese frosting and used Oreo halves and crumbs to decorate.
I am not a cake decorator and kind of did this on the fly so I'm happy with how it turned out but had I had more time to think it over, I'm sure I could have done a better job.
Cookies & Cream Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
Ingredients
4 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
16 tbs unsalted butter at room temperature
3 1/3 cups sugar
6 large egg whites at room temp
4 tsp vanilla
2 cups milk
Roughly 1 1/2 cups Oreos, chopped
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl with mixer, combine sugar and butter and beat until light and fluffy; about 2 minutes. Blend in egg whites one at a time beating well each time. Blend in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, beat in half the dry ingredients until just incorporated. Add milk and blend just til combined, then add remaining dry mix. Gently fold in Oreo, being careful not to overmix. Pour batter into a lightly greased 9x13 cake pan and bake for 30-40 minutes.
Adapted from Annie's Eats/
Frosting
12 oz cream cheese, softened
12 oz butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
About 4 cups of powdered sugar
Combine ingredients and beat with an electric mixer, adding the powdered sugar gradually until it has reached your desired consistency.

The cake was a hit! It tasted great and was just sweet enough without being overbearing. I'll definetely be making it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...