Friday, March 23, 2012

Breastfeed like Beyonce

I am loving all of the positive feedback coming about Beyonce choosing to breastfeed her daughter in a restaurant. I don't know if maybe I'm just more aware now that I myself am breastfeeding, but it seems like there has been a lot of stigma and controversy lately about whether it's appropriate to breastfeed in public, and I'm so happy to see this positive coverage of a celebrity breastfeeding in public. Having the confidence to do that is hard! I feed my son in public all the time, pretty much anywhere but it is very nerve wrecking for me, even still after almost 6 months. I don't use a traditional cover but I am always covered with a receiving blanket and I usually choose as discreet of an area as I can. I feed him in the car once we've parked a lot because I feel more comfortable there knowing I won't accidentally show more then I want, and that I don't have to worry about being judged. I have been really luck so far that I've never had anyone make a comment about it and I think I've only experienced one time where I felt like someone was judging and mean mugging me about it. I won't ever be shamed into feeding my baby in the bathroom but sometimes it's tough to sit at a restaurant and feed him, knowing the waiter will walk up shortly or to feed him at the mall with tons of people walking by. Even though I make sure nothing is showing, I feel very exposed and vulnerable! And I think that has a lot to do with how other people perceive it, the backlash saying it's indecent and inappropriate.
I am ecstatic to see some celebrities being open about breastfeeding and doing so in public. They have such a huge influence on people and I'm hoping it helps remove some of the stigma. Better yet, I hope they bring it mainstream. I am not the most confident mama out there but the more support I see, the better I feel and the easier it becomes for me. I think it's so important for women to try and find that confidence because no one should feel trapped at home just because they choose to breastfeed. And I certainly don't have to worry about paparazzi! I hope I, and other breastfeeding mamas can learn to be bold like Beyonce. Mamas, find your inner diva and don't give a damn. That's what I'm going to try to do from now on. If you need some tips, here's a great article with some pointers on feeding in public: http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/06/10593546-how-to-be-like-beyonce-and-breast-feed-in-public

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...